
Well a chapter is finally closed in the Rimel book. I completed nursing school in December 2008 and on Monday of this week I took my State Board Exam for liscensure. On Wednesday morning I found out I passed. So it is official, I am a registered nurse in the state of Oklahoma. Now to start another chapter.... I do not currently work which is unfathomable to many of the people I graduated with. However, among the many valuable things I learned while in nursing school, I learned I want to be home. My family works best when I am at home. My children and husband are happier when I am home. School for me was not an immediate necessity to provide an income for my family, it was kind of like an insurance policy. I have witnessed so many women especially in my own family that have had to take over the roll as provider for their family. I have seen first hand how difficult it was for them to make a living and mother their children. Steve and I have always talked about, what would happen to us if something happened to him. We have life insurance and that takes care of immediate needs but too many times I have seen young women lose their husbands and the life insurance is gone too soon. Nursing is a well paying field with flexible schedules, and there is always jobs available. No matter what the economy does there will always be a need for people in the medical field. Now that does not mean that I will not work unless I have to. I would not mind working a part time (very part time) job. I will wait until the perfect job for my family is available, extra money is always helpful.
The month of February has been very eventful. While it ended on a positive with my passing my boards it began very sad. On February 2, Steve's mom passed away. We are still adjusting to life without her. Steve's parents were married for 40 years and I know the loss of Doris will be felt most by her husband Don. Her three kids Steve, Hope and David also have a had a difficult time with the loss of their mother as well as the grandkids who will miss their memaw terribly. We look forward to being united with her in heaven one day. It gives us peace to know that she suffers no longer. Still we miss her each and everyday. Please continue to remember our family in your prayers as we continue our lives without her here.
The above picture is Doris's senior picture, it is one of my very favorite pictures of her. She was so beautiful and I love the note written to her future husband Don.
Hi Amanda,,I just wanted to share with you how I totally get what you are saying....I only work enough to off set our expenses...My sweet husband is 11 years older than me and he thinks more about his body wearing out from running a lawn business...our family runs so much better when I am around...but when I get a paycheck from working I try so hard to make it count instead of blowing it on stupid stuff..Anyway, I love your blog...Pray forme that I pass my RN next month...I know I should be greatful for my LPN...but alot of times they ( the hospt) work me as an aid and it completly wears me out! Anyway, I hope you find the right job to fit in with your busy schedule as a wife and mom! You are such a inspiration! Chat soon, DAWN White
ReplyDelete